Staying Active with the Kids during the COVID 19 pandemic
With schools closed and kids stuck at home 24/7 due to COVID 19, it is more important than ever that nannies keep the kids active and engaged!
Kids are used to an active, busy day so being stuck at home means lots of pent up energy. As a professional nanny, it is your job to direct that extra energy into something positive. If high-energy kids have nothing to do, it will manifest in behaviour challenges so let’s get ahead of it and shine with creative, fun and energetic activities.
Below are some active easy activities nannies can do with kids to help them burn off some of that extra energy, stay healthy, and have fun while doing it!
- Headstands: A great activity for the core muscles and to get blood moving to the brain. Kids are often naturals at this!
- Jump rope: Pull out that skipping rope and jump to the tune of their favourite rhymes!
- Obstacle course: Create an obstacle course for the kids using furniture and things you find around the house. Your can also take sidewalk chalk and draw an obstacle course on the driveway. Add in mental or physical challenges to add to the fun!
- Wheelbarrow, crab, and bear-walk races: Lots of fun while engaging all sorts of muscle groups!
- Animal races: Hop like a bunny or frog; squat and waddle like a duck; kids love competition!
- Balloon ball: There are endless ways to play with balloons. Try to keep it off the ground or play catch. Mix it up with balloon tennis!
- Follow the leader: Always a fun game and add energetic movements such as jumping, stomping, and squatting.
- Dance party: Turn on the music and shake your groove thang.
- Freeze dance: When the music stops, freeze in your pose and hold it until the music begins again.
- Scavenger hunt: Nannies write up clues and hide them around the house. Kids can race to find each clue for a small prize at the end.
- Jumping jacks: Simple but good for coordination and they get your heart pumping.
- Parachute: Make a parachute with a bed sheet. Hold on to the ends while fanning it upwards and take turns running underneath!
- Bubble wrap attack: If you can get your hands on bubble wrap, lay it down on the floor and have the kids try to pop all the bubbles.
- Clean-up race: Set a timer or put on a song to see who can clean up the room the fastest.
- Tickle tag: Chase the children. When you catch them, it’s tickle time!
- Carnival: Set up carnival games such as “Knock Down the tower of tupperware”.
- Hallway bowling: Fill up water bottles and use any ball you have to knock down the pins.
- Hopscotch: Use chalk or tape to draw the game on your floor or on the pavement outside.
- Pillow fight: No explanation needed!
- Sock skating: If you have hardwood floors, put on socks and teach the kids to skate! Try spins or hockey stops, or see who can slide the farthest.
- Bubble catch: Blow bubbles and let the kids try to catch them.
- Pushover: Plant your feet and see if the kids can budge you. If you move your feet, they win! Stand on one foot to make it easier for little kids.
- Popcorn pushups: Put a small bowl of popcorn on the floor. Have the kids do pushups over the bowl to retrieve a piece of popcorn in between each pushup.
We hope this list helps some of our nannies keep busy with the kids during this confusing time. Thank you Diamond Nannies for everything you do!
Remember, we are here to help and support you. Please call us at (416) 730-8866.